Thursday, January 15, 2009

My Dad's secret recipe!

I have to give my dad a hard time. He was here over Christmas and did a couple of things that really made us laugh. I have to preface this story with the fact that he has worked very hard to provide a comfortable life for our family of 9 for a long time. That caused countless sleepless nights and stress beyond comprehension. Through all of this stress he maintains a sense of humor (even though some of us don't always get his jokes) and a good attitude. Well, all of that stress over the years can cause you to do some things you really don't mean to do. For example, after Christmas, there was some left over turkey that needed to be used. I knew that he had a reputation for a killer turkey soup recipe, so we let him loose in the kitchen to whip up his secret recipe. It smelled delicious and he even cleaned the kitchen after he was done. Job well done, Dad! Umm...wait a minute. What are those brown things in the soup?
Something didn't quite look right, so I started fishing the little brown pellets out of the soup to inspect them further. I started laughing. " Dad, did you put dog food in the soup?" He couldn't figure it out. Yes, he has a secret recipe, but it definitely did not include dog food! Long story short, David had thrown the turkey scraps in our dog's dish, but then realized he had given him too much so he scooped it out and threw it in a plastic bag to save for later. Naturally, some of the dog food stuck to the slimy turkey and remained in the bag. No one told my dad that, so why would he think to look for dog food in the fridge? We kept the secret ingredient a secret until everyone was about done with their soup. The dog food had dissolved quite well in the soup, so you could barely tell it was there. Even though it grossed me out, it really was good soup, and if you ever need a good thickener, dog food works great! We all felt like playing fetch and chasing our tales the rest of the Christmas break, it was pretty entertaining! Thanks for the good laugh dad, now we will have something to tease you about for the next 20 years.
Oh but wait, he did one other crazy thing. He tried to kill my mom in her sleep! Not too smart with so many witnesses! Just kidding, Dad! My Mom's back hurt during the night, so she asked my Dad for some Tylenol. He felt in his medicine box and got two Tylenol shaped pills. The next morning, my mom came stumbling out of her room, "Rick, what did you give me last night? I feel like I am dieing! I can hardly feel my heart beating and I feel drugged." Then she laid down on the couch and went to sleep, or more like she passed out.
She was white as a ghost and her pulse was slow. My dad looked through his medication to see what he could have possibly given her. He found it, it was Loritab. He had some in his box from a surgery he had had several months ago. It was the same size as Tylenol, so in the dark they felt the same. I tried to call my neighbor who is an ER doctor, but he was asleep after working all night. Then I called David, who was skiing, and asked if she was going to be ok. He just laughed and said not to plan anything for her, that she would be catching up on her sleep for several hours. She did just that and slept until after noon. I think that must be a first for her! So Dad, thanks for the fun stories you made for us and check your meds next time! Like I tell David, I do stupid things like that to make him laugh and make life interesting for us! I love you both and miss you!

5 comments:

Shannon said...

I'm pretty sure the dog food story will go down as one of my favorites in history. :) The loritab one would be my favorite, but after seeing Dad feel so bad about it, I might keep it at 2nd place for now :)

Tammy said...

My kids were whining that our taquitos tonight looked like dog food. I told them that some people actually "cook" with dog food, then told the story. They laughed hysterically! They were just glad they weren't there. I'm just sad I missed living the "stories." Maybe next time!

Kristy said...

Man I'm so sorry I missed all of that, except for having to eat the soup of course! Those are classic stories and I'm sure we'll never let Dad forget them!

Amie said...

cherilyn, Don't tell your dad, but I really gagged at the soup picture and story. No way! My dad always provided many good stories like those ones. Oh how I miss him! I love to see your cute family. Everyone's so grown up! And you and David look great.

Jake and Shell said...

Grace eats dog food all the time and she's pretty healthy! I'm glad to see your dad helping your mom get some much deserved rest :)